The key to healthy living is maintaining a good personal hygiene and proper sanitation in your surroundings. Most skin ailments are caused by micro-organisms like fungus, bacteria and protozoa. These microbes may already be present on your skin and at the first sign of a compromised defense mechanism they enter the skin and cause various diseases like athlete’s foot, staph infections, impetigo, Jock’s itch to name but a few. This article reviews the role of good hygiene and hygiene products in preventing these skin ailments.
What is Hygiene?
Hygiene generally means cleanliness practices which help in prevention of disease carrying microbes from causing infections. Maintaining good hygiene is a lifestyle routine that you have to incorporate everyday at home and outside to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
Personal Hygiene at home plays a very important role in preventing the spread of infectious disease. As they say charity begins at home, so does hygiene. Personal hygiene is not something you do once in a while but follow every day, every moment of your lives. Personal hygiene involves keeping yourself and your surroundings clean and germ free.
Some important points to maintain a good personal hygiene with the aid of hygiene products are listed here.
1. Bathe everyday with a good antibacterial soap. It is very important to kill disease causing micro-organism everyday by bathing with a soap that has antimicrobial properties. This soap will ensure that your skin remains germfree.
2. Always wash hands with soap and water before eating and after visiting the washroom or any public place or even after handling raw meat and vegetables. Hands should be washed thoroughly back and front and care should be taken to clean the nails as they are ideal places for germs to accumulate along with dirt and grime. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol based Hand Sanitizer to clean your hands.
3. Change towels and bed linen frequently. Wash these clothes in a good detergent and hot water. Hot water helps remove germs which may have accumulated on these clothes. If there are incidences of skin ailments in your house use an antibacterial solution along with detergent for washing these clothes.
4. Do not share towels, combs, brushes with anyone.
5. Always take a bath with an antibacterial soap after a swim or a visit to the gymnasium. Dry yourself thoroughly afterwards.
6. Wipe all the equipment used while exercising with an antibacterial solution or an alcohol based sanitizer. This should be done after each and every use.
7. Use a disinfectant to wash toilets and kitchens. An antibacterial disinfectant should be kept close at hand to wipe kitchen counters, sinks and in the toilet to clean faucets and flush handles. These places are ideal breeding grounds for microbes.
8. Keep cuts, bruises and wounds clean by using an antiseptic solution. Wash them regularly. Cover wounds as open wounds are invitation for bacteria to fester into an infection.
Maintain Good Hygiene Practices to Keep Diseases Away
Most of the disease causing microbes can be washed away by following a strict hygiene and cleanliness routine. It is much simpler to keep these germs from infecting you by using hygiene products than to treat the ailments they cause. A stitch in time saves nine and the time to take those precautionary measures and incorporate them in your daily routine is now.